Pusterla Vineyard– Maria Capretti’s Winery
Via Turati- Brescia
send an e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
In ancient times the name “Pusterla” meant the doors that afforded to secret passages that led into the walls of castels or forts. The vineyars takes its name from the secret passage that were in the North of the Castle of Brescia, also known as Falcon of Italy.
It is characterized by the plantation of winter grapes, the vineyard has plants that are 80-100 years old; this native grapes, that has a typical aftertaste of almond and with a thick peel, has a late grape harvest that, in past centuries, let people eat grapes during Christmas e Santa Lucia celebration.
It is quite difficult to recreate the story of the changes of properties of this site.
One of the most ancient clues that lead us to know the story of the vineyard that stays at the slopes of the Castle of Brescia is the Diploma from Imperor Corrado II to Odorico, bishop of Brescia, dated 15th July 1037.
The fact that it was near to the monastery of Santa Giulia let us suppose that the zone, farmed with grapevine at the slopes of Cidneo, had some links with the monastery, that owned lots of plots, also in the city, where grapevine was cultivated.
It is easier to recreate recent story thanks to the documents owned by actual owner: in 19th century Riccardis created a winery that had rewards at International Exhibition of Vienna on 18th August 1873 and won the gold medal at Exposition of Brescia in 1904.
The winery was inherited by Caprettis.
In 2007 the association “Slow Food” gave to winery Pusterla, the biggest fertile city vineyard (almost 4 hectares) in Europe, the title of “Historic Heritage of Environmental Agribusiness Culture”.
Since November 2011 Maria Capretti has been leading this vineyard, after 20 years of outer management.
PUSTERLA VINEYARD OF BRESCIA (ITALY) IS THE BIGGEST FERTILE CITY VINEYARD AND ONE OF THE MOST ANCIENT IN EUROPE!